Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sidelines Sports Cafe


Ok, well lets get something straight, this ain't no sports "cafe" it's a "sports bar" in every sense of the word. Big TV's, sports video games, pool tables, a foosball machine, a menu of pub grub and lots of draft beer taps on the wall. To my knowledge it's the only sports bar in Oak Grove. Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way, lets get down to business.

I've been to Sidelines Sports Cafe a number of times since it opened about two years ago, and to begin with I wasn't all that impressed, but over the past year they've gotten a handle on the kitchen and are producing a consistent product.

Today I stopped in for their Tuesday lunch special, which is always a ribeye steak sandwich, I would guess it's about a 6 oz, (pre-cooked) ribeye on a six inch po-boy bun, with all the toppings and a side of fries for $7.95. That's not a bad lunch special, it's getting to where you can hardly find a decent lunch in Hattiesburg for under $8.

The ribeye sandwich was good, I asked to be cooked medium and that's what I got, the fries were not hand cut, but they were hot, right out of the fryer and not mushy. The toppings were fresh, and the service was pretty good.

In the past I've had several of their burgers, and I often wonder when debates come up about who has the best burgers in the 'Burg why they don't get more mentions, they grill a good one. They have several signature burgers, but the Black Bean Burger being my burger of choice at Sidelines. It's not a burger made from beans or anything before ya'll think I've gone all vegan-crazy or something, it's half-pound Angus beef burger topped with black beans and pepper-jack cheese. It's a pretty unique taste.

They're located at Cedar Creek Strip Mall right on Oak Grove road right by the intersection of Oak Grove Rd and the Lincoln Rd extension.

All in all Denny, Coach and the rest of the crew at Sidelines have come a long way in the last year, and they're putting out some pretty good pub grub right now.

Sidelines Sports Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment