Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lunch at Po-Boy Express


Today I had lunch with a couple of friends at a Hattiesburg landmark – Po Boy Express. I won't even try to pretend that I'm not a bit biased to this establishment. For the past decade proprietor Darren Smith has been serving one of the most consistent selections of Po Boys, burgers and salads you can find in town.

Located on 4th street on the east side of the Highway 49 overpass, where they've been a staple for an eclectic mix of college students, professors, firemen, police officers, bankers, construction workers and just about every other demographic you can think about.

Today I ordered the lunch special with a PBE original “Floyd Special” which is a meat lover's favorite. Between the sliced fresh bagget you'll find ham, turkey and roast beef stuffed inside with a couple of slices of provolone cheese and your favorite toppings. A consistent product that doesn't promise to be more than it is – a really good sandwich.

You can get a good po-boy at a lot of places in Hattiesburg, but I think the atmosphere draws me back, from the Southern Miss memorabilia on the walls to the cast of regular “characters” that congregate at the back tables and hold court on a daily basis. You may find anyone from Southern Miss coaches Corky Palmer and Larry Fedora to local outdoor writer and radio personality Ben Willoughby talking more than they're eating. It's not uncommon to see local politicians, community leaders, and other Hub City movers and shakers.

The place is usually packed at lunch and for good reason. Fun, food and friends is the best way I can describe a lunch at Po-Boy Express.

They deliver, but be mindful they are one of the busiest delivery places in town, so make sure you get your order in before 11:00 AM.

Po-Boy Express on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear your review of the "Foxes Pizza Den"...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, I get out towards Oak Grove with work from time to time. I'll make it a point to stop by. It's by Ramey's, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is! I Love the Club Wedgie. Made with Baked ham, turkey, real bacon, melted mozzarella provolone and cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.

    ReplyDelete